Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wanted: Broody Hen.

I am through with the chick hatch. Everybody looks fluffy and seems to be happy to be out of that cramped egg. What a long process those poor little creatures go through! It is a struggle to free themselves and everything has to be done at the right time. I had an 8 out of 10 hatch. So, I did well. I understand that the average is 2/3 in an incubator. Higher, of course with a sitting hen. My goal is to seek out a broody hen to do what she does best and better than I can do. I will do regular incubator hatches.

There was two losses. One was a rotten egg. The embryo stopped forming at some point. The other loss was a chick that had pipped but died. I am not sure why this may have happened. It appeared super wet inside. It almost looks like it suffocated. I was very sad about it. The death came in the middle of the night. I was tired and alone, so I am sure it just added to my own sense of guilt due to responsibility. However, this is a human trait isn't it. It shows it's self mostly when somebody get hurt or dies. If I had just... The fact is creatures and people get hurt and die. Sometimes things are just the way they are.

Meanwhile, I ran to Tractor Supply for feed, a comb and brush for the English Angora rabbits, and dog food. I got  2 Amber Links pullets. Pullets are female chicks, usually have some feather starts because the are old enough to sex. I also have 2 Black Sex Link (Black Stars) pullets, and a Tetra Tint pullet for the heck of it. The Tetra Tint pullet is so calm. I see on the web that folks are trying to figure out what breed that is. I have no idea. I read that they are from Mt. Healthy Hatchery exclusively for Tractor Supply. Stay tuned for her picture! lol Yep. I am nuts.

... and always wild and wonderful.
~crow

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!