Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hot chicks

I have a slow connection this evening, but wanted to at least get some words up.

Today started right at the stroke of midnight for me. The chicks started peeping inside of their eggs yesterday, so I was wide awake and determined to see them into this world. After all, they are in my incubator so I have full responsibility of the health and well being of these creatures. If I had a broody hen, then I would say let nature take her course. So we either eat the eggs or they get warmed up and hatched.

The chicks came, (and are still hatching as we speak) Each hatch has been different. The first chick came at 4:30 am, then 2:30 pm, 4:15 pm, 9:00 pm and one just hatched. We will call it 10:45 pm. I am thinking all should be done by tomorrow morning. Except for one egg, and that one will be one day later. Maybe.

I have read and studied all about hatching chicks. There is all sorts of information out there. Differing opinions, temperature settings, humidity, help the chicks hatch, don't help them, what to do's, emergencies and on and on. I think my chick hatching mantra is to be patient but watchful.

No wonder teachers incubate eggs in the classroom. It is quite amazing. I have taken a series of photos and I will be putting them up soon in some sort of creative way. I want to share the experience.

For now, I need to catch up on some zzz's. For tomorrow will be another wild and wonderful day here in West Virginia.

~crow




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!