Saturday, July 2, 2011

goats

Tonight, I want share some photos of my new goats that are coming to the farm this month. The breeder sent me updated photos this evening. I am so excited.

I was looking online for a little something on Shamanism, and Animal Medicine, or Wisdom for the goat as a totem animal. After all, I so love my dear Deer and Oprah. I found this great site: Animal Spirit Totems, an online dictionary for animal totems. Take a look at her website. It is really a wonderful resource that I have stumbled upon. It is going in my crow food section.

Her beliefs seem similar to mine, as the Medicine Cards that I used and the philosophy that I keep sacred, is to pay attention to nature. To get in tune with it's cycles, land, and occupants. We humans forget that we do need to share the earth with the other beings that live here. Animal, mineral, plants, the works.

I got my first deck of  Medicine Cards: way back from my friend in FL. I think it was about 13 years ago. They were a gift. I didn't read cards at that time, so it was quite the prophetic gift. At the time, I suppose it made perfect sense to her. My friend did not know anything about the cards. I think it was the Native American nature of these cards that she saw that I would enjoy. I was so blind to my true nature back then. But she saw me.

I soon fell in love with the cards, and through the years, have spent many hours doing readings, picking cards, noticing the animals (or insects, fish, birds) that kept popping up for me. I always was surprised and delighted with the "readings". My children grew to love the cards as well. They would ask if they could pick a card, and we would read all about the card and animal they picked.

That is how I became crow. Because the crows came to me. I didn't go to them. They came to me at a time when I had little to no hope, but was taking my first steps towards learning about it. I was raw back then. I had cast out the poison in my life, but didn't know what to do next. It left me with a huge gaping hole in my soul. Because that is what happens when you make a bold brave move towards positive change. You don't have the layers of stuff to cover you anymore. Even if it is toxic, it is your contaminated security blanket. I was stripped from my "identity" left naked, vulnerable and shaking.

It was a major God-smack.

But at the time I had very dear, dear friends. Sara and Le Ann. I couldn't believe (at the time) how these really wonderful women wanted to befriend me. Really. And I know, it is so sad. Poor little lamb me. Anyway, they traveled with me, until I took off and flew away. But their friendship and love were the ingredients for my wings. That and lots of therapy and some antidepressants. Sara, Le Ann, my therapist, and my family doctor were wing builders. They didn't know it. They just loved me. Gosh I miss them. I moved, Sara moved, and Le Ann had a health scare with her husband. I bet if you put us all in a room together today we would pick up where we left off. Laughing until we almost peed our pants, sharing secrets, and being each other's life cheerleaders as we all took a stab at motherhood.

Goddess-smack.

I lost that deck of cards in a rushed move, and was given another, then lost that deck in a flood. I guess I am due for a new deck. I have no plans for future moving and no more floods either please.

Here is what I unearthed tonight at Animal Spirit Totems: regarding the goat:


"He shows the importance of supporting others as you move and being flexible in exploring new possibilities. Goat aids to establish foundations in which to stand and will guide in building a stronger foundation if need be. He wants to make sure what is before us is strong before the next lessons begin. Goat prepares for moves in life and teaches how to seek new heights in spiritual, mental and emotional areas so one can achieve the best future by looking up and forward. Do you feel stuck and lost? Goat will show direction in which to move. Is it time to finally put forth your independence and strength? Look within to find the answers and allow Goat to lead you where you need to be. Trust the sure foot of Goat's wisdom."

No wonder I want to surround myself with goats. No wonder when you are writing a blog entry and letting the creative flood gates wide open that you get a post such as this!

All I was doing was searching for a little quote about goats.

So at last, here are the photos I received this evening. My doe is named Cinco De Mayo. Well, because she was born on the 5th of May. So the buck, of course, had to be named something Mexican. So he is named Pancho Villa. I had to name them before the transfer of ownership, because the are pedigreed and registered Myotonic goats. aka TN Fainters.

This is Cinco De Mayo

I hear she is a real pistol. She looks like she has a light side and a dark side.


And this is Pancho Villa...


He is a twin. His sister is being retained by the farm. He is said to be easy going, but curious and always underfoot. He is born polled. Which means born naturally hornless.


Good looking kids. I can't wait until they become a part of mi familia. I kinda love them already. And yes, I will be speaking to them in Spanish!


More later on readings, my sorted history, (we all have one) and of course more goat news!


3 comments:

  1. I once had a really cool book on animal spirit totems. It was Native American. I don't know what happened to it - must've loaned it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your friends' names are Sara and LeAnn - my best friend here in AZ is SaraLee [she makes a mean Pecan Coffee Cake]
    I had a Nordic deck that I loved but lost it in . . . a flood. I was given another deck but it proved too dark.
    Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the goats. And more stories about you - thank you for letting us get to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very powerful post Crow and inspiring too. Great that you have friends like that, true friends.

    Re your Goat card. Sounds like I need to 'git miii-self a goat!

    Don't forget we need a lesson in tea reading...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!