Wednesday, May 18, 2011

stuck

I so wished I had my camera today to show you how bad I got my truck stuck. Bottomed out right at the base of the mountain in a five foot ditch. Tilted sideways with the back tire still gripping the road looking painfully wrenched. I was being nice and letting somebody come down the hill as the road is narrow with a straight drop off the mountain on one side of the road, and a ditch on the other. Actually, I think it is a roadside stream.

I am nice. Like to the guy in the tan sedan who I drove off the road earlier today, and I smiled and waved. Nothing back. I know that the truck is not all shiny, new and respectable, but I am. Well, then again, looking at all three of those words I guess I am only shiny.

The one of speeding truck guys did stop and tried for a few minutes to help me, but his friend, the driver did not seem interested in helping me. So, they took off, the driver looking relieved that I said it was OK, and we would walk home. Maybe he had somewhere to go. Maybe the other guy in the sedan was feeling sick. Maybe so many things. Why be mad? I chose to be nice. I shouldn't expect an instant return, or a parade with balloons and confetti, or even a medal, or a cookie, or a chest to pin it on. Wait, I do have a chest. Medal please!

After they left I had to push the driver side door open with the strength of my whole leg. We were that tilted. I climbed out and Bella, the beagle hopped out next, happy to be let out of the truck in a new place scented with rabbits. Then my poor sweet Sophie crawled up and out. She was worried. But I told her that it was no problem. Daddy would come pull the truck out when he got home and we would have a nice walk home. On our way up the road this guy stopped. A young kid, well maybe like 20-ish. A kid to me. But he stopped and asked us if we were ok. Nice kid. I told him we were fine, but I was a bit embarrassed. He told me that he has seen lots of people stuck there. Nice kid. He asked us if we wanted a ride home. Nice kid. I told him I needed to walk off my embarrassment. Plus, it was just so nice and cool out for walking and Bella was enjoying her smells. We chatted for a little bit. He was a little shy, and I was asking him questions about his house. (It used to be the hospital here in the 1800's.) It occurred to me he looked familiar. Yes, the day Earl hauled ass down the hill, this nice kid was the one who jumped in his car when he saw a donkey running full gait down the road, tie-out attached and caught him. I thanked him profusely for that. I could see he was getting a sense of return, you know a return for the kindness. Not a parade or balloons, but a genuine shiny beam of gratitude.  I told him how much my donkey meant to me, and that I have just got him for Mother's Day and I was not sure everybody would do the same. He was a bit red faced, but beaming. I asked him his name. Darren. I told him mine and asked him if he knew where we lived. Yes. He told me it was nice to meet me and if we couldn't get the truck out that he would borrow a relative's deisel truck to yank it right out. Again I expressed my appreciation. Nice kid. I hope to meet his Mother and tell her what a good son she has.

So we continued our walk. Another truck went zooming by. I was really thankful we were walking. The air was crisp and clean and I took a bit breath, knowing there are some good kids coming up in this world. Like my daughter, walking next to me. I said to her, isn't this just so beautiful here. She said yes, it is. We looked at a little stream running and chatted about school. My truck being sideways on the side of the road, didn't really matter anymore.

I came home energized and decided I would love on my donkey a little bit. Hearing about how close it was that I might have lost him made me want to give him a big donkey hugs. I scratched all the places he loves. I noticed he is looking a little big in the girth. So I took him out for a walk. I made him run with me too. He is suck a great living being. There is something about him that stirs up a certain bit of melancholy. I had horses growing up, and the energy is similar. I love him and I told him so. I am going to train him to carry a pack. He is a bit green, but Sophia wants me to walk him down to the bus stop, and I thought it would be neat if he would start learning how to carry a pack. I could work with him and give him a sense of being my wing man. He is gentle on the rear quarter. He doesn't kick. Not people. He kicks a pesky pig and a downright rude buck goat. My nanny goat stays clear from him. She is such a smart girl. I hope someday they can be friends though.

I emailed Rusty and told him about the truck, but he missed the notification and drove up on the scene. He went and yanked that baby right out. No problem. Nice Husband.

Some situations might seem terrible at the time. But today I remembered I could take a big breath and start over. Begin again and stop and smell the roses or wild rabbits along the way home to your donkey. :-)

Life is good. I will seek out the good, even when I find myself in a hole, it can be disguised as a  blessing. I got to know a little bit more about my daughter's day at school. I met a neighbor. I exercised and breathed in fresh air, and I got a sense of the connection I have with Earl my donkey. I thought I was stuck, when in fact it was the universe getting me un-stuck.


wild and wonderful, and shiny...
~crow

PS, A Shout Out to the people who have come along and added me to their blog follow list. Also, to those who come from facebook, and read and leave me messages there. It feels like it is a shiny imaginary medal that I can pin on my chest. ;-) Thanks for reading.
Welcome to crow.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!