Monday, June 6, 2011

six-six

Sophia, my just turned 11 year old, (and youngest) had her birthday today. She has been counting this day down for months, at least. I always worry about such hype becoming anticlimactic. But for Sophie, it was everything she hoped for. Probably everything, with the exception that she still had to take a shower and get ready for bed. :-)

Sophia had school today, which might normally stink on one's birthday. However, at her school, the lunch ladies butter your nose on your birthday. How cute is that? Sophie's friends were very excited and happy for her. She even got a present from a boy. A necklace that looks like an Native American arrow head on black leather-like(?) cording. Sophia has never received a gift from a boy, so it was pretty special. I tried not to make a big deal about it, but me asking, "So how did that all go down?" was met with some vagueness, but I did get that he had it in his pocket and gave it to her. ::sigh::

Gosh, I love small town America.

Yes and I AM small town America. This is who met Sophia at the bus-stop:


:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
earl with green hair paint and purple flowers

Earl, the miniature donkey told me he wanted to dress up for Sophia's Birthday. I felt obliged to carry out his request. He also said he needed extra sweet feed, which I was happy to give him for being so thoughtful and keeping a sense of humor about himself. He is just like me. I know I say it all the time, but... I adore him!

Oh my, what a day! I found a President Day chicken that I thought was in chicken heaven, due to that dog attack. I found, him, Obama, in the trash building, hiding, dehydrated, hungry and injured, but alive. So, thankfully, or perhaps not (it is how you look at it) we are down only to one lost chicken, a hen, her name was Ring Tone Two. Her sister Ring Tone One (shh.. I am not sure who is who!) is still with us. Sophia's chicken.

Miracles do happen. Having a baby is a huge miracle. But there are others, some more quiet and unexpected. All you have to do is color them green and stick flowers on them, or look in the trash. You will find them, they are there waiting for us. Nothing to do really, but acknowledge that they happen everyday and every second we take a breath.


From Wild and wonderful WV,
~crow


4 comments:

  1. I felt so tired and ancient this morning when I woke up it was a miracle I got anything constructive done at all today...

    ...what a wonderful welcome home from school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Chris! ::creak- go my bones::

    Sophia loved it. I am sure it will be something she will recall later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've lost 3 chickens in the past 2 days. I'm so so sad. Now they are being kept in their coop. Totally depressing not to see them roaming the yard. I'm guessing it's the same predator stealing the eggs. After it killed one of our broody hens, it ate the clutch of eggs under her too, so no more chicks this summer :-(

    Love the birthday - how cute about buttering the nose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no Lisa. That is just terrible news. I know what you mean about seeing them free roam. It is just heartbreaking. Sending you my condolences and comforting vibes to you and your wonderful farm.
    ::hugs::
    ~crow

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!